If you know anything about me than you know that I’m a huge Oprah fan. The hugest.
I’ve been to her show four times. I even held her hand for 30 seconds (and then didn’t wash it for 24 hours). And yes, I actually HAVE talked to her personally – for the thirty seconds while I was holding her hand.
So, yes that’s my claim to fame.
And, one of my favorite sections of Oprah’s magazine is her “What I Know for Sure” segment, where she highlights a personal revelation that she has about life.
So, in keeping with this idea, I’m going to share with you “What I Know for Sure About Marketing.” It’s just a quick compilation of what I’ve learned over the years.
- Building a small business is a JOURNEY…you’re in it for the ADVENTURE. You actually never ARRIVE.
- The minute your stop marketing is the minute your business stops growing.
- A great marketing plan will help you reach your business goals up to 150% faster.
- Magnificent marketing is immune to the economy.
- The secret to small business success? Relationships first, sales second.
- For your marketing to grab hold of the public, it needs to be bold, different and gutsy.
- To be a great marketer, you have to move outside of your comfort zone.
- Show your prospects how you will solve their problems, and you’ve consummated the sale.
- If you’re not going to be exceptional, then you might as well not be in business at all.
- Repetition. Repetition. Repetition. Now THAT’s what I call good marketing!
- A business grows in the exact proportion to its marketing efforts.
- Here’s the quickest way to small business failure: blend in with the crowd.
- Stop INTERRUPTING and start INTERACTING.
- It is far more impressive what OTHERS say about your business than what YOU say about your business.
- Marketing is EVERY SINGLE INTERACTION that you have with your clients, prospects and customers.
- In the world of marketing, it’s always better to be CLEAR than CLEVER.
- Your prospects are exposed to over 4,000 ads a day…what are YOU doing to get noticed?
- Get out there and GET NOTICED!
- The secret to small business success? Take action every day, even when you’re not in the mood.
- A terrible thing happens without marketing…NOTHING!
- Stop talking and start doing. I’d rather see imperfect action than a perfect plan.
- You have TWO choices: 1) Take care of your customer, OR 2) Send them to your competition.
- The only way to the top is through solid and consistent marketing.
- Let your small business uniqueness SHINE so bright, it blinds your competition.
- Only the consistent and persistent marketers survive.
- The big shots are just the little shots who keep marketing.
- Small business success is entirely dependent on your marketing efforts.
- It’s a complete MYTH that you have to spend money to make money in the world of marketing.
- The customer doesn’t want your “sales pitch.” Instead they’re looking for a relationship.
- Only market to the small percentage of people who need your product or service and ignore the rest.
- Always remember that your prospects only spend money when they feel SAFE, HAPPY and GOOD.
So there you have it. A few nuggets of shoestring marketing wisdom that will help you on your small business journey.